The Associate in Science degree includes courses from different disciplines to provide students with both breadth and depth of knowledge in science and math. All Cottey students take an initial lab science course to fulfill the general education core requirement. In addition, Associate in Science students are required to take another science course in a different discipline from the core (focus 1), and a continued course from the core in either science or math (focus 2). Students can choose from courses in Astronomy, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Mathematics, or Physics.
The Disciplinary focus prepares students for a major or minor in a social science, natural science, or computing area by requiring two courses from a single discipline. These disciplines include Biology, Business, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics, History, Mathematics, Philosophy, Physics, Psychology, and Speech.
The Associate in Science degree also allows students the freedom, either to explore further into sciences and improve the depth of knowledge in a certain discipline, or to follow personal interests to improve breadth of knowledge in different disciplines by taking an additional 19-22 credit hours of electives to complete the degree.
The Associate in Science degree is designed mainly for students who wish to transfer credits to a baccalaureate degree program at a four year institution. It is highly recommended students work closely with their academic advisor on transfer requirements in their specific discipline and for their selected four year transfer institution. Obtaining an Associate in Science degree does not necessarily guarantee that students will be accepted as having completed all lower division general education requirements for a baccalaureate degree in a certain discipline.
To summarize the above, students who are eligible to receive the Associate in Science degree must:
- Complete the general education core curriculum
- Complete Focus 1, 2 and a Disciplinary focus as follows
- Focus 1
- 4 credit hours from chosen Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Astronomy, Math, or Computer Science
- This must be in a different discipline from the general education core (Learning Outcome V)
- Focus 2
- 3-4 credit hours of continued study
- This must be in the same discipline from the general education core (Learning Outcome V)
- Disciplinary focus
- 6 credit hours in one discipline chosen from Biology, Business, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics, History, Mathematics, Philosophy, Physics, Psychology, or Speech.
- Focus 1
Sample Schedule for AS in Degree
|College Writing 1||3||College Writing 2||3|
|Lab Science||4||Science course||3|
|Math course||3||Math course||3|
|Social Science||3||Fine Arts||3|
|Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies||3||Science or Math||4|
|Science or Math||4|