Dr. Melody Denny
Assistant Professor of English
Writing Center Director
Melody Denny earned her PhD in Composition and Rhetoric at Oklahoma State University in 2014. She received both her MA and BA in English from Northeastern State University in Tahlequah, OK. Her research interests include writing centers, first-year writing, discourse analysis, writing across the curriculum, providing feedback on student writing, genre theory, and food discourse.
Dr. Denny teaches a variety of classes at Cottey including first-year writing, English Grammar and Usage, Introduction to Professional Writing, Advanced Composition, Environmental Writing and Rhetoric, and Digital and Multimedia Composition.
Recent Conference Presentations
- Writing studio and “required” writing center sessions; College Composition and Communication Conference, Houston, TX (April 2016)
- From research question to results: The publication pipeline (Workshop); International Writing Centers Collaboratory at College Composition and Communication Conference, Houston, TX (April 2016)
- Beyond institutional walls: (r)Evolutions of a high school tutor training curriculum; International Writing Centers Association Conference, Pittsburgh, PA (October 2015)
- Border food rhetoric: Place and persuasion in culinary culture, Rhetoric Society of America, San Antonio, TX (May 2014)
- Savoring food stories: Community-based knowledge through oral histories, Imagining America: Artists & Scholars in Public Life National Conference, New York, NY (October 2012)
- Collaboration’s shifting sands: The RER and everyday discourse in the writing center, International Writing Centers Association Conference, San Diego, CA (October 2012)
- Creating community partnerships through peer tutoring, International Writing Centers Association Collaborative at College Composition and Communication Conference, St. Louis, MO (March 2012)
- Writing center discourse as a site of discovery: The RER and writing center collaboration, South Central Writing Centers Association Conference, Little Rock, AR (February 2012)
- Pay it forward: Sustaining university-community projects, Imagining America: Artists & Scholars in Public Life National Conference, Minneapolis, MN (September 2011)
- Questions and the writing center frame, International Writing Centers Association Conference, Baltimore, MD (November 2010)