Professional Judgment

If a family has experienced a significant reduction in income such as loss of employment, loss of untaxed income, separation or divorce of parents, death of a parent, or unusually high medical expenses they can complete and submit a Special Condition Request form to the Financial Aid Office. This form is available on the information and financial forms page.

The director of financial aid reviews the form and determines whether or not an adjustment will be processed. The decision is only valid at Cottey and cannot be appealed to the Department of Education. The form along with the decision is filed in the student's file. Changes will only be made to the cost of attendance or to specific data elements on the FAFSA. The data elements that are adjusted must relate to the student's specific situation. If PJ is used to make adjustments to data elements on the FAFSA, the resulting EFC is used for all FSA funds awarded to the student. If a student's FAFSA was selected for verification, verification must be completed before using PJ.