- Cottey College defines a Leadership Immersion as any intensive academic study or personal enrichment travel experience that directly relates to at least two of the following areas: women’s leadership, social responsibility, and/or global awareness. Immersion funding is specifically designed to support students who have declared a baccalaureate major. Funding will not be awarded to support study abroad experiences.
- Faculty sponsors and baccalaureate students with at least a 2.50 GPA are eligible to apply. The committee suggests up to $1,250 per student as the recommended maximum.
NOTE: Students who do not meet the minimum GPA requirement may apply, but must provide a justification of why their application should be considered.
- Applications are open to individuals and groups. Faculty-led groups are given precedence for funding.
- Applications will be prioritized by merit and the quality of the application. A rubric will guide evaluation that addresses overall depth, forethought, quality and strength of individual application sections. Students are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to work with their advisor and/or the Writing Center to ensure that a high-quality application is submitted.
- Funding decisions will be made by the Leadership Team, a committee composed of students, faculty, and administrative staff. Faculty and student members of the Leadership Team are appointed by the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- The application cycle will follow the below timeframe:
Semester of Travel Application Due Selection Decision Funds Available Fall February March $6,000 Spring October November $10,000 Summer January February $4,000
- All immersion experiences will require completion/participation in the following:
- An assessment of the experience (developed by the Institute) completed by each participant
- At least one campus presentation
- A reflective letter (minimum of 200 words) reflecting on the experience and learning from each participant
- At least two photographs showcasing the immersion experience
The reflective letter and photograph may be used by the Serenbetz Institute in communications and publications. All paperwork is due to the Serenbetz Institute Administrative Assistant within 30 days of the completion of the immersion.
Curious what applications should look like? Below are samples that have been funded previously.