Support Current Students
Support students during the school year: students from your state and/or students residing in your state suite
One way the P.E.O. Sisterhood helps make Cottey such a unique place is through care packages to students and suites. Each year, P.E.O.s send hundreds of care packages to our students. The Office of P.E.O. Relations sends student/suite rosters to the Cottey chairmen and board members in charge of Cottey promotion each semester. Because each state handles their adopt-a-student/suite program differently, it is best to first contact your state Cottey chair for sponsor assignments. If your state does not have an organized adopt-a-student/suite program, you can request a roster from the Office of P.E.O. Relations. Please make sure your list is up-to-date before sending a package as students occasionally change halls.
If an individual student receives a monetary gift over $49.99, she is required to report it to the Office of Financial Aid, which may affect her financial aid package.
Cottey's student body is made up of students from over 40 states and 15 foreign countries, so many students are a long way from home. Hearing from P.E.O. s from their states can be a great way to help students keep connected to home and reduce homesickness. Most Cottey students are in their late teens and early twenties, so keep in mind young people's tastes when compiling your care package. Here are some suggestions for keeping connected:
1. Send birthday cards.
2. Send care packages.
Students really appreciate receiving the following items:
- snack food, such as single-serving microwavable macaroni and cheese, chips, breakfast bars, crackers, candy, gum, and cookies
- spiral notebooks, pens, scotch tape
- body lotions, hair products (shampoos, conditioners, gels)
- coffee, tea, and beverage mixes
- laundry detergent and softener
- quarters for laundry machines
- disposable cameras
Send care packages to:
Name of Student or Name of Suite
Name of Residence Hall (P.E.O., Reeves, or Robertson)
1000 W. Austin
Nevada, MO 64772
To ensure delivery, send packages between September 1 and December 1 for the fall semester and from January 15 to May 1 for the spring semester. Students are away from campus during spring break, which is typically the first two weeks in March. Be sure to include a return address on the package to make it easier for the student or suite to send a thank you note.
3. Purchase Chellie Bucks.
The Chellie Club is a coffee house located on campus that is open evenings. Students can purchase sandwiches, ice cream, bakery items, and specialty coffees and beverages. There is only one way to order Chellie Bucks! Credit card orders via phone are not accepted. To order Chellie Bucks, send a check made payable to Cottey College to:
Office of P.E.O. Relations
1000 W Austin
Nevada, MO 64772
Chellie Bucks can be purchased for students in increments of $1. All checks should be made payable to Cottey College with "Chellie Club" on the memo line. Mail checks, along with the name of the student or suite you are sponsoring, to the Office of P.E.O. Relations. Online purchases are not available.
The Office of P.E.O. Relations will process the check and place the Chellie Bucks in campus mail to the student in a decorative envelope that identifies the chapter or individual sending the Chellie Bucks. If you wish to send cards along with the check for the Chellie Bucks, please mail the cards and check to the Office of P.E.O. Relations and the office will insert the Chellie Bucks into the cards and send them through campus mail.
4. Purchase final's week packages through the office of student life at 417-667-8181, x 2126 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The cost is $20. Packages include chips, nuts, cheese and crackers, macaroni and cheese, granola bars, stress-reduction toys, and a big apple or orange. Packages are distributed in December and May. Proceeds from the sale of final's week packages support an annual scholarship for Cottey students. Click here for the Student Life Care Package order form
5. Students also appreciate bookstore gift certificates. In addition to books, the Cottey bookstore has a variety of merchandise including clothing, bags, cups, and much more! Order gift certificates from Cottey's bookstore by calling, 417-667-8181, x 2154.
6. Purchase a gift card to from one of the national chain restaurants that students have in Nevada. The following national chains are located in Nevada and accept gift certificates: Domino's Pizza, Pizza Hut, Macdonald's, Burger King, Sonic and Wal Mart. You may purchase these gift cards at your home store and mail the certificate to the student. The closest Starbucks and Target locations are 60 miles south.
7. Contact the office of P.E.O. relations at 417-667-8181, x 2122, if you have any questions about gifts to students.